Participating in the Student Volunteer Program is a great way for students to get a behind-the-scenes look at how AGU manages such a large meeting while also earning free student registration for at least 8 hours of volunteer time. Applicants are not guaranteed a volunteer position. Only a few dozen positions are available, and volunteers are selected based on their suitability for the available positions.
Please note that the application deadline has passed. AGU is no longer accepting student volunteer applications.
Applications Open: 16 October 2017
Application Deadline : 23 October 2017
Volunteers Announced: Late-November
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at a degree-granting institution
- Must be an AGU student member
- Must have successfully submitted abstract prior to filling out application. Your Presentation ID (e.g., PP42C-08) will be required on the application and will be vetted.
- Must be the first author presenting a talk/poster at Fall Meeting
- All student volunteers must understand and speak English well
- Interested students will fill out an online application to participate in the program when applications open (see above).
- When filling out the application, students will choose the 1 AGU program area (i.e. Sharing Science, Career Center/Pathfinder, science policy, press relations, etc.) they wish to support.
- AGU program managers will review the applications and select volunteers.
- All applicants will be notified whether or not they are chosen.
- Selected volunteers will receive instructions from AGU regarding their volunteer positions.
- Students must volunteer for at least a total of 8 hours and may split those hours between positions.
- Applications are reviewed and volunteers chosen based on their qualifications for the available positions.
- Confirmed student volunteers will be refunded for their 2017 Fall Meeting registration. This will be processed as a refund after the meeting.
- Volunteer Supervisors will be available at the beginning of each shift. Students must check in with the Supervisor in order to receive credit for their volunteer hours.
- Volunteers should dress in business casual attire and wear comfortable shoes.
- All volunteers will be required to wear an AGU Student Volunteer pin during their shift (unless noted otherwise).
Contact Students@agu.org for customer service.