Participating in the Student Volunteer Program is a great way for students to get a behind-the-scenes look at how AGU manages such a large meeting while also earning free student registration for at least 8 hours of volunteer time. Applicants are not guaranteed a volunteer position. Only a few dozen positions are available, and volunteers are selected based on their suitability for the available positions.
Applications Open: 16 October 2017
Application Deadline : 23 October 2017
Volunteers Announced: mid-November
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at a degree-granting institution
- Must be an AGU student member
- Must have successfully submitted abstract prior to filling out application. Your Presentation ID (e.g., PP42C-08) will be required on the application and will be vetted.
- Must be the first author presenting a talk/poster at Fall Meeting
- All student volunteers must understand and speak English well
- Interested students will fill out an online application to participate in the program when applications open (see above).
- When filling out the application, students will choose the 1 AGU program area (i.e. Sharing Science, Career Center/Pathfinder, science policy, press relations, etc.) they wish to support.
- AGU program managers will review the applications and select volunteers.
- All applicants will be notified whether or not they are chosen.
- Selected volunteers will receive instructions from AGU regarding their volunteer positions.
- Students must volunteer for at least a total of 8 hours and may split those hours between positions.
- Applications are reviewed and volunteers chosen based on their qualifications for the available positions.
- Confirmed student volunteers will be refunded for their 2017 Fall Meeting registration. This will be processed as a refund after the meeting.
- Volunteer Supervisors will be available at the beginning of each shift. Students must check in with the Supervisor in order to receive credit for their volunteer hours.
- Volunteers should dress in business casual attire and wear comfortable shoes.
- All volunteers will be required to wear an AGU Student Volunteer pin during their shift (unless noted otherwise).
Contact Students@agu.org for customer service.