You can now view all accepted sessions!
*Note: Conveners still have access to the system to send or edit invited author email invitations if needed. Please keep in mind the 2 August submission deadline as this cannot be extended for anyone. See below for instructions.*
Each non-Union session will be able to invite up to only TWO invited authors during the abstract submission period. AGU’s main objectives for allowing invited authors include: 1) raising the profile of a session; and 2) enticing authors who would not otherwise submit an abstract to a session in an effort to, for example, enhance diversity or interdisciplinary perspectives or feature early career scientists.
Union sessions are the only scientific sessions that consist entirely of invited abstracts, to highlight contributed science in all other programs. There is no limit on the number of invited authors for Union Sessions, but a maximum of eight (8) authors is recommended.
Official Panel Format sessions, as requested by the convener and approved by the Program Committee, can have a maximum of eight (8) invited authors to allow their potential panelists to submit an invited abstract to their session. These sessions are noted as “Panel Format” in the online scientific program. Please issue the invitations to your panelists through the AGU system using the instructions below.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Being an invited author DOES NOT guarantee that that person will receive an oral presentation unless it is a Union or approved official panel session. Otherwise, they are invited authors, either in an oral or a poster session. If a session is given an oral allocation, which is also not guaranteed, the authors in that session and the length of presentations will be decided by the convener during the scheduling process.
UNION SESSIONS ONLY
- There is no limit on the number of invited authors for Union Sessions, but a maximum of eight (8) authors is recommended.
- Each approved Union session topic will receive ONE 2-hour oral session.
- Union sessions are limited to invited authors only for the purpose of discussion with leading experts.
- The length of presentations will be at the discretion of the convener(s). Conveners are encouraged to schedule longer presentations in Union sessions (20-30 minutes), instead of the normal 15-minute talks in other sessions.
- Union sessions do not have a poster component.
FIRST AUTHOR POLICY
Please keep in mind the Fall Meeting First Author policy as you consider Invited Authors for your session.
- First Authors may have a maximum of one (1) Contributed and one (1) Invited abstract, or two (2) Invited abstracts. One additional abstract from the First Author may be submitted to an Education or Public Affairs session.
- There are no exceptions to the first author policy, regardless of the number of invitations an author receives.
INVITED AUTHOR INSTRUCTIONS
- Conveners, who are AGU members, may access the online invitation management system to enter the names of up to TWO (2) individuals they wish to invite to submit to their session. There is no limit on the number of invited authors for Union Sessions, but we recommend a maximum of 8 authors.
- Conveners are asked to manage and send formal invitations to Invited Authors via the online program management system by Wednesday, 19 July 2017. However, conveners still have access to the system to send formal invitations up until the abstract deadline if needed. Please send invitations as soon as possible to ensure that your invited authors will have enough time to accept and submit their abstract before the 2 August abstract deadline. There will be no exceptions to the submission deadline.
- Invited Authors must not submit their abstract until they receive an email from the online invitation system with detailed instructions. Invited Authors must accept their invitation via the online abstract submission system in order to submit their abstract directly to your session by the deadline of Wednesday, 2 August 2017. This is a firm deadline and late submissions will not be accepted.
Conveners must be AGU members in order to access the abstract management and scheduling system.
- To begin, log in using your AGU member log-in credentials.
- Once logged in, conveners will see the Fall Meeting ‘User Portal’ page. Click on ‘My Account’ in the left menu bar.
- The session title will be listed in the center of the page. Select the title of your session.
- On the Session Proposal Control Panel on the left-hand side, select the ‘Invited Author Tool’ link.
- Enter the name of your Invited Author in the ‘Person Search’ field.
- From the search results, select the name of the Invited Author. If an Invited Author record is not located in the search, you may create a new record by entering the email address.
- At the bottom of the page select the grey ‘Send Email Invite’ button to send a formal invitation to the invited author.
- Invited Authors must not submit their abstract until they receive an email from the online invitation system with detailed instructions. Otherwise, their abstract will NOT be noted as “invited”.
- Invited Authors are not guaranteed an oral presentation and may be assigned a poster presentation.
- Invited Authors must be AGU members and up to date with 2017 membership dues; however, special exemptions may be requested for individuals who are not geophysical scientists.
- An individual may not accept invitations to submit an abstract to more than two (2) sessions.
- Session Conveners may not be the First Author or Presenter on an invited abstract in the session they are convening. However, Conveners may submit a contributed abstract to a session they are convening.
- The program committee recommends (though does not require) that if a convener submits a contributed abstract to their own session that they request a poster presentation; if a convener wants to be considered for an oral presentation, it is preferred that they submit the abstract to a different session
- All abstract submission fees are non-refundable; refunds will not be issued if policies are violated or an abstract is rejected.
- Invited Authors do not receive waived or discounted abstract submission fees and registration fees.
- No travel reimbursements are provided to Invited Authors.
If you have any questions regarding membership status of an Invited Author, contact the AGU Scientific Program Team.