The general 2016 Fall Meeting abstract submission deadline was 3 August 2016 and the late breaking sessions abstract submission deadline has also passed. Please know that no late abstract requests can be accommodated at this time.
In early October, acceptance notifications for those abstracts submitted by 3 August were distributed via email and the final scientific program is now available online. The notifications for abstracts submitted to the late breaking session were sent via email in early November. Please contact email@example.com to have these notifications resent if needed.
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
- Deadline: All abstract submissions must be received by 3 August 2016 at 23:59ET/3:59+1 GMT (11:59 P.M. EST). Abstracts will not be accepted for review after this date.
- Abstracts must focus on scientific results or their application. The Program Committee may decline to consider abstracts with other focus.
- Following the abstract deadline, submitted abstracts may be placed in a different, more appropriate session than the one to which it was submitted. Final decisions regarding placement of individual abstracts and sessions rests with the Program Committee.
- The abstract title is limited to 300 characters and the abstract text is limited to 2000 characters. There is a limit of 2000 characters, excluding spaces but including punctuation, for the text of your submission.
- LaTeX is supported. Special characters are also available in the abstract management system.
- The person submitting the abstract will automatically be the First Author. You may not submit an abstract on behalf of another author. The First Author cannot be modified for any reason.
- The First Author, including invited authors, MUST be an AGU member.
- Your AGU membership dues for 2016 must be paid in order to be recognized as a member in the abstract submission system. The abstract submission fee is separate from membership dues. If paying by credit card you will have immediate access to the abstract submission system to submit your abstract.
- First Authors can have a maximum of one (1) contributed and one (1) invited abstract, or two (2) invited abstracts. The only exemption to this policy is the submission of one (1) additional contributed abstract to an Education (ED) or Public Affairs (PA) session.
- NEW for 2016: CO-AUTHORS can be added via the User Portal anytime after the abstract submission process, until 17 August. All co-authors must be submitted by 17 August. Note: The deadline to submit an abstract is still 3 August. Co-authors can only be added to already submitted abstracts between the time period of 3-17 August.
- The abstract submitter is responsible for ensuring that all co-authors have agreed to be listed on the abstract.
- A research team may be referenced during the submission process in the “Title of Team” field, in lieu of adding the names of individual team members.
- Note to Members of Cooperating Societies: Members of the American Meteorological Society (AMS), European Geosciences Union (EGU), and Mineralogical Society of America (MSA) may join AGU or submit abstracts to the sessions co-sponsored by their respective societies. AMS, EGU and MSA members (who are not AGU members) must contact the AGU Member Service Center or by calling +1-800-966-2481 (toll-free in North America) or +1-202-462-6900 by Wednesday, 20 July 2016 to request log-in credentials in order to submit an abstract to their societies’ cosponsored sessions.
- A flat fee of $65 (USD) will be charged for each regular submission.
- A flat fee of $35 (USD) will be charged for each student submission.
- There is no fee for persons residing in Qualifying Low Income Countries and Lower Middle Income Countries.
- The abstract submission fee is a non-refundable processing fee, and not based on approval of your abstract submission or attendance at the Fall Meeting.
- Do not withdraw a paid abstract submission to make edits. Refunds will not be issued for abstracts that are withdrawn and resubmitted, and payment will be required for any resubmissions.
- After an abstract is submitted, it can be accessed and edited until the abstract submission deadline (3 August 2016). After this deadline, edits cannot be made.
- The only method of payment accepted for abstract fees is by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) in the abstract submission system. Wire payments or purchase orders requested from AGU cannot be accommodated.
- If you experience any technical issues with payment or receive an error message, please verify that your credit card number, CVV number and expiration date are entered correctly. If you receive an error message stating you must contact PayPal, please request technical support by completing the request form within the submission site or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The abstract submission fee does not register you for the meeting. Separate registration fees apply. All presenters must register in order to attend Fall Meeting. Online Fall Meeting registration will be open in mid-August.
- The list of approved sessions are included on the abstract submission site.
- Oral presentations cannot be requested. These are assigned by the session conveners and Program Committee based on the total number of submissions received.
- Poster presentations may be requested. These requests will be honored by the conveners and Program Committee. Poster presenters will also have the opportunity to upload their ePoster on the Fall Meeting ePoster site prior to the meeting.
- NEW for 2016: Some sessions are being considered for an alternate session format. Please be aware that if your abstracted is accepted to an alternate format session, your abstract may be scheduled as a panel discussion or lightning poster presentation. Alternate session format descriptions can be found here.
- Submission of an abstract carries with it the obligation to give a presentation in the designated manner assigned. It also grants AGU permission to publish the abstract.
- Once assigned by the Program Committee and scheduled by the session convener, the date and time of the presentation CANNOT be changed; presenters are advised not to arrange travel until acceptance notifications are issued on 3 October via email. Acceptance notifications will include information regarding assigned session dates and times. Please note that presentations may be assigned on any day: Monday, 12 December through Friday, 16 December.
- To be the presenter of either an oral or a poster presentation at the meeting, the individual must be listed as the “presenting author” on the abstract. An individual cannot present someone else’s abstract, if his/her name is not listed as an author on the abstract.
- Invited authors will receive an electronic invitation from the session convener via the submission site. The invitation will include a link to the session; please submit the abstract via the link included in the invitation. If the abstract is not submitted through the formal invitation, the abstract will not have an invited status listing.
- A person may not be invited to submit an abstract to more than two (2) sessions.
- A First Author may NOT be an Invited Author or Presenter on an abstract submitted to a session in which they are convening.
- Invited Authors are not guaranteed an oral presentation and may be assigned a poster presentation.
- Invited Authors do not receive discounted abstract fees, registration fees, or travel reimbursement.
- Please note that certain authors may be marked as Invited after submissions close.
- If you are looking for some pointers about how to write an AGU abstract, you can go here for some helpful tips.
- Information on Fall Meeting registration can be found here.
- Information on the Outstanding Student Paper Award (OSPA) Program can be found here.
- Information on Student Travel Grants can be found here.
- Information on the Berkner Travel Fellowship can be found here.
- In early October, acceptance notifications will be distributed via email and the final scientific program will be available online.
- Tutorials: Watch step-by-step video tutorials on the submission process.
- Technical Support: If you have a question about the submission site or experience a technical issue when submitting your abstract, request technical support submit a technical issue by completing the request form within the submission site. You may also call +1 401-334-9903 (at the prompt, enter support code 1438) on Monday through Friday between 8:30 AM and 6:00 PM, US Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -05:00) or email email@example.com.
- Scientific Program: If you have a question on AGU’s scientific program policies or general procedures, contact the AGU Scientific Program Management Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AGU Membership: If you have a question on your membership status or need assistance with your AGU membership account, contact the AGU Membership Services Team at email@example.com or call 800.966.2481 (toll-free in North America) or +1 202.462.6900.