Abstract Submission Deadline: 6 August 2014, 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT
The abstract submission tool is now open! Before submitting, remember to:
- Review the tutorial which will take you step-by-step as you complete the process
- Read the guidelines listed below to ensure that you have not missed important information that may hinder your submission
- If you have already begun a draft or submitted a 2014 abstract submission you may access it here
- Make sure that your 2014 AGU membership dues are up to date. Note: membership must be up to date in order to submit an abstract.
- Search and view sessions and abstracts submitted by your colleagues
Important Note: By submitting an abstract for consideration to the 2014 AGU Fall Meeting, you automatically agree to receive e-mails from AGU and its service partners containing information on the decision of your abstract submission, as well as scientific program updates and options for the meeting.
The first author MUST be an AGU member and up to date on 2014 membership dues in order to submit an abstract. Co-authors are not not required to be AGU members. Individuals may join or renew their AGU membership online. Note to Members of Cooperating Societies: Members of the American Meteorological Society (AMS), European Geosciences Union (EGU), and Mineralogical Society of America (MSA) may join AGU or submit abstract to the sessions co-sponsored by their respective societies. AMS, EGU and MSA members (who are not AGU members) must contact the AGU Member Service Center or by calling +1-800-966-2481 (toll-free in North America) or +1-202-462-6900 by Friday, 25 July 2014 to request log-in credentials in order to submit an abstract to their societies’ co-sponsored sessions.
View submission standards for all AGU Meetings
- Abstracts must focus on scientific results or their application. The Program Committee may decline to consider abstracts with other focus.
- Following the abstract deadline, submitted papers may be placed in a different, more appropriate session than the one to which it was submitted. Final decisions regarding placement of individual papers and sessions rests with the Program Committee.
- The abstract title is limited to 300 characters and the abstract text is limited to 2000 characters. The 2000 character limit includes spacing and punctuation.
- LaTeX is supported. Special characters are also available in the abstract management system.
- The person submitting the abstract will automatically be the First Author. This cannot be modified. The First Author will receive all communications regarding their abstract.
- The First Author, including invited authors, MUST be an AGU member.
- Your AGU membership fee for 2014 must be paid in order to be recognized as a member in the abstract submission system. If paying by credit card you will have immediate access to the abstract submission system to submit your abstract. If paying by any other method, payment must be received by 24 July in order to be recognized as a member in the abstract submission system. After that date, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to submit an abstract.
- First Authors can have a maximum of one (1) contributed and one (1) invited abstract, or two (2) invited abstracts. The only exemption to this policy is the submission of (1) additional contributed abstract to an Education (ED) or Public Affairs (PA) session.
- A research team may be referenced during the submission process in the Title of Team field, in lieu of adding the names of individual team members.
- A flat fee of $65 (USD) will be charged for each regular submission.
- A flat fee of $35 (USD) will be charged for each student submissions.
- There is no fee for persons residing in Qualifying Low and Lower Middle Income Countries.
- The abstract submission fee is a non-refundable processing fee, and not based on approval of your abstract submission or attendance at the Fall Meeting.
- The only method of payment accepted for abstract fees is by credit card.
- Submissions can be edited after submission and prior to the abstract submission deadline.
- The abstract submission fee does not register you for the meeting. Separate registration fees apply. All presenters must register in order to attend Fall Meeting. Fall Meeting registration will be open in mid July.
Oral and Poster Presentations
- Oral presentations cannot be requested. These are assigned by the session conveners and Program Committee based on the total number of submissions received.
- Poster presentations may be requested. These requests will be honored by the conveners and Program Committee. Poster presenters will also have the opportunity to upload their poster and accompanying videos on the Fall Meeting ePoster site prior to the meeting.
- Submission of an abstract carries with it the obligation to give a presentation in the designated manner assigned. It also grants AGU permission to publish the abstract.
- To make either an oral or a poster presentation, the presenter must be listed on an abstract at the time of electronic publication. An individual cannot present someone else’s paper, if their name is not listed as an author on the abstract.
- Session conveners must enter the names of all Invited Authors into the system no later than 23 July 2014.
- A person may not be invited to submit an abstract to more than two (2) sessions.
- After the convener has added the Invited Author to the session the Invited Author will receive an email with instructions. They will not be able to submit as an Invited Author until after email instructions.
- A First Author may NOT be an Invited Author or Presenter on an abstract submitted to a session which they are convening.
- Invited Authors are not guaranteed an oral presentation.
- Invited Authors do not receive discounted abstract fees, registration fees, or travel reimbursement.
Final Program: Letters of notification will be distributed and the online program posted in early October.